The Mermaids´Tears : Oceans of plastic
Over the last few decades the sea has become our garbage dump. We pour 6 million tonnes of garbage into it per year, 80% of which is plastic. Every square metre of every sea and ocean on this planet now contains tens of thousands of bits of plastic. This plastic kills and maims thousands of seabirds and sea mammals each year. Scientists are warning of the scale of this pollution in all of the world’s oceans. In Holland a researcher has found plastic in the stomachs of 95% of fulmars, a type of seabird. Micro-particles of plastic abound on all of the world’s beaches. A zone where the garbage accumulates has been discovered in the middle of the Pacific, a plastic ‘soup’ swallowed by fish and plankton. Chemicals released by plastics disturb the endocrine system. They are to be found in the blood of us humans.
(can be seen / rented / purchased worldwide except on vimeo for the territories : Andorra, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, French Southern Territories, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, New Caledonia, Reunion, St. Pierre & Miquelon, Wallis & Futuna Islands)
- SELECTION dans la catégorie “Compétition Internationale” du FIGRA, Festival International du Grand Reportage d’Actualité et du Documentaire de Société 2010.
- SELECTION Festival Pariscience 2010
- “BEST ENVIRONMENTAL FILM 2009″ Festival International du Film Water, Seas & the Oceans de PRAGUE.
- «ERT3 (Greek Public Television)BROADCASTING AWARD» Thessaloniki Documentary Festival 2010
- « Prix Scientifique » au 3ème Festival International de la Mer et de ses environnements (FILMAR) d’Hendaye
- Nominé pour le « Best Nature & Environment Protection Award » of International “Gold Panda” Awards for Documentary of 2011 (11th) Sichuan TV Festival in China